If you are unable to adopt a dog at this time, this is one way you could really help!! These are all the doggies that are needing costly medical treatment or ones that have had it and we are trying to recoup these costs. If you can help at all, any amount is GREATLY appreciated!!!
This is Myron. He is a 6 month old purebred Boston terrier that Nancy, our president, confiscated today. Long story short, his family brought him in to her vet clinic to possibly be euthanized because they didn't have the money to treat him and didn't want him to suffer (WHAT A JOKE , this dog has been suffering a LONG TIME or at least his whole 6 months of life)! He had swelling in the abdomen for 4 days and when he looked half dead yesterday morning (09/19/11), they finally called! They mentioned NOTHING about the skin issues at all on the phone, yet he has one of the worst cases of demodex mange she's ever seen! His skin is over an inch thick and so inflamed that whenever you touch it, weird clear fluid leaks out of his skin. Its horrible and bizarre! And after exrays and sticking a needle in the belly, we also know for sure he has serious internal bleeding with a belly full of blood (much like when a puppy gets "drop kicked"). The "owner", we don't think, was the one who kicked him, he was an idiot, very poor and obvious clueless, but loved the dog in his own way. He gave Nancy a very hard time about surrendering the dog until she told him it would be thousands of dollars, blood transfusions, hetastarch, etc... and he would likely not survive anyway (ALL TRUE!). Then he finally conceded to surrendering him. We worked on him ALL day long and all night. Nancy extracted over 1/2 a liter of blood from his belly the last time and that was only half of what is in there (can't take it all out or they go into shock). He is still critical. Nancy left the animal hospital at 8pm to get her kids fed, homework done and in bed and she went back to sleep there last night. He is still alive this morning and even gave a little wag of his tail which was the first of any kind of reaction we have had from him!! He may need to have an exploratory surgery today if necessary. UGH ! Paws crossed that he makes it through all of this!
UPDATE: Unfortunately Myron did not make it :( The only thing we do have comfort in is the fact that he was loved and cared for the last day of his life and he knew it. The doctors couldn't stop the internal bleeding. We took him to internal medicine specialists at AERA in Fairfield and they discovered from an emergency echocardiagram and abdominal ultrasound that his massive internal hemmoraging was due to chronic liver failure (his liver was 5 times normal size) and secondarily was in severe heart failure (all 4 chambers were gravely enlarged). They felt even if they got the bleeding under control with multiple tranfusions etc....he would need a liver biopsy & cardiac workup, possible surgery and that he would still only have a very poor prognosis with less than 20% chance of survival. He was in agony and had clearly been suffering for most of his short life. The cardiologist, internist, ER doctor and our medical director all agreed it was clearly better for him to end his suffering. You have truly earned your wings Myron.
Scout was rescued from Monticello, GA after he had been hit by a car or kicked and was set to be euthanized for a broken leg. Someone found him on the side of road abandoned and injured and contacted us after taking him to the vet. We immediately arranged for him to be ex-rayed and started on pain medication. The vet he was at, not any nearby, were able to perform the surgery Scount needed. So quickly thereafter, we arranged his transport to NJ that Saturday, arriving Sunday August 14th. Monday, he was seen by multiple orthopedic specialists here in NJ and it was unanimously decided that because of the location and age of the fracture (through the growth plate) on his femur, that it would be in his best interest to amputate the leg. He had the surgery on Tuesday evening and is recovering nicely at our medical director's house. He was up the next day and walking on three legs without missing a beat!. He is just finally starting to free of his pain and playing and jumping around. He is SUCH a sweet and well behaved lil pup!! His surgery will cost us approx $1500, we are awaiting the bill. Please help us recoup some of these costs. Thanks so much and Scout thanks you too!
Marley is a 3 month old yellow lab mix with the most beautiful green eyes... we were waiting to get him foster to get him out of the shelter, and when Christy went to the shelter she found him lying on his side on death's door. He was rushed to an emergency facility where it was determined that he has the parvo virus as well as dog flu. He is currently being treated with IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-vomiting medications to get him through the symptoms until the viruses pass. We pray his little body can fight this, and we are doing all we can for him. The cost of his care is unknown at the moment because we have to wait and see how he responds, but clearly he will need to be in the hospital for at least a week. We anticipate his care to cost approximately 1000.00 on the low end.
UPDATE 8/12/11 -- Unfortunately, we did everything we could for poor Marley but it was too late :( He passed away and went to the Rainbow Bridge on 8/12/11. Our costs to try and save him totaled $1051.87.
Please note the chip in ends July 8th, 2012
Kanga was rescued from a shelter in GA pregnant and about to burst! We had her flown up to NJ (Thanks Animal Rescue Flights!) immediately and thank goodness we didn't waste a second because she actually gave birth to two babies on the flight, three in the car on the way to her foster home and two more once she arrived at foster! Kanga was the proud new mommy of 7 beautiful puppies!! Kanga was also heartworm positive. She has since been treated and adopted by her foster family! If we could get help on recouping some of these expenses, we could save lots more dogs!!
Annabelle was saved from a kill shelter in GA. She was in foster for 3 weeks before transport. Unfortunately, when she arrived to NJ on 8/28/10, she had a snotty nose. Her adopters took her right to the vet where she got xrays, bloodwork, fluids and antibiotics. The vet thought it was some kind of infection for sure (her white blood count was elevated), but wasn't sure yet if it was something worse like pneumonia. After a few days, she was not getting any better but actually getting worse. Bad news. Annabelle stopped eating on Friday and became very lethargic. The adopters took her to the emergency vet and they thought she might have a blockage, as she had stopped pooping as well, and recommended they fast her the rest of the day and see if she improved. She didn't and they brought her back the following morning. Even though she wasn't presenting with the "normal " parvo symptoms, on a hunch, she was tested for Parvo and it came back positive. Parvo is a potentially deadly virus in any puppy but with her already compromised immune system it was really scary!!! She was put in ICU on 24 hour emergency care and monitoring, an iv catheter, intravenous fluids and antibiotics and medications to reduce vomiting. She also required a blood transfusion!! We are happy to announce she beat the odds and is home and doing GREAT!!! But it ended up costing $3512.80. We, of course, reimbursed the adopters the entire cost but it pretty much wiped us clean! If you would be so kind to contribute towards Annabelles treatment, she and lots of our dogs would be eternally grateful! UPDATE: The Onyx & Breezy Foundation amazingly donated $1500 towards Annabelle's care so we reduced the ChipIn by $1500!!